Boxed mac & cheese is in many folks pantries. This pun-ny recipe "elevates" the standard box, adding flavor and calories too! This recipe makes two servings - so one dinner for two folks, or two dinners for one. Another perfect weekend meal.
- Boxed mac and cheese - Annie's and Trader Joes makes a white cheddar that feeds 2.5 people. Split the box into two bags if necessary.
- 1/4 cup of salami per serving - sliced into cubes about the width and height of a penny
- 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese per serving - sliced into cubes like the salami
- 1/4 cup of cherry tomatoes - wait until you're in the field to slice them in half
- Optional - olive oil and garlic
- Start the stove and put a pot of water on
- While the water is heating up, cut the cherry tomatoes in half
- When the water is boiling, add the pasta. If your stove doesn't simmer well, I've discovered that you can bring the pasta to a rolling boil, let it begin to froth up, then shut off the stove before it boils over. Wait a minute, then re-light the stove and repeat. Do this as many times as necessary until the pasta tastes ready. This technique is really necessary for canister stoves like the Jetboil and Reactor.
- When the pasta is ready, drain the water and spoon the pasta into a bowl, or two bowls if you're cooking the entire box. Keep a little bit of water in the bottom of the pot for the instant cheese that came with the box, and add that water into the bowls too
- Add the instant cheese that came with the box, and stir
- Add the salami, real cheddar cheese, and cherry tomatoes
- Stir and serve
Enjoy! This is another dish that only requires cleaning your bowl and spoon afterward.